Learn how to use AirDrop on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad to easily and freely transfer files, apps, webpages, and more. Just as you do it on Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms.
What is AirDrop?
AirDrop is a handy app from Apple that allows seamless transfer of data across all iDevices. It leverages both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity and hence resolves the communication between iDevices that relied on different communication technologies (Mac used Wi-Fi whereas iPad and iPhone uses Wi-Fi in conjunction with Bluetooth), a difference that prevented files from easily being dropped from iPhone to Mac and iPad, and vice versa.
AirDropping from Mac to iPhone and iPad
To drop files from Mac to iPhone:
- From your Mac, select AirDrop from the Finder window
- Choose either to be seen by Everyone, or by those in your Contacts. By selecting to be seen by Everyone, your Mac has a higher chance of detecting all your available iDevices.
- From your iPhone/iPad, swipe up on Control Center and select AirDrop
- This should bring the iPhone/iPad in the Finder window on you Mac
- Drop images, photos, webpages, apps, and other data files on the icon of the iPhone/iPad. Your iDevices will immediately respond with an alert letting you know that a data file was being transferred.
- Simply select the alert to start the transfer.
AirDropping from iPhone/iPad to Mac
To connect AirDrop from your iPad/iPhone to a Mac, do the following:
- Open Airdrop in Finder window on Mac
- Swipe up on Control Center and tap on AirDrop to turn in on your iPhone/iPad
- Select Everyone to increase chance of working (you can choose contacts only later)
- Select and drop the file you want to AirDrop to Mac and drop it on the Mac icon in the AirDrop window.
- Tap on the Mac icon and the transfer will start (you might have to wait a few minutes and see Waiting on the finder window)
AirDropping from new Mac to old Mac
To find your old Mac and transfer files:
- Click “Don’t see who you’re looking for” in the AirDrop window in the sending Mac
- Select “Search for an Older Mac.”
- Open AirDrop in the receiving Mac in a new Finder window
- It will show the new Mac icon. Simply drag and drop the files!